The Royal Hop Pole
The Royal Hop Pole is a Grade II listed building. It has been in continuous use as an inn from the 14th century, occupying a prime location in the centre of Tewkesbury, on the banks of the River Avon and close to Tewkesbury Abbey.
From the street, it appears to date largely from the 18th century, but within its core three remarkable early medieval timber frame structures survive: a jettied street range of the 1480’s and behind this an open hall circa 1450 and a parallel accommodation and stable range of 1380.
The importance of this site is reflected in the exceptional quality of the carpentry and may well have involved itinerant carpenters who were familiar with monastic building techniques. The work involved traditional timber frame repair. During the restoration, significant schemes of domestic wall paintings were uncovered and conserved.